Cannabis Industry Practice
Capabilities Overview and Senior Strategists
Strategic Impact Partners works with multi-state cannabis operators, vertically-integrated enterprises, and adjacent industry companies to help their leadership teams and investor groups accelerate growth.
For MSOs (Multi-State Operators), SIP is uniquely equipped to facilitate development of any expansion strategy and its operational implementation. We can support site selection and the infrastructure requirements for any state market.
We provide end-to-end project management throughout the license application process and can analyze your Standard Operating Procedures through the lens of the very particular regulations of your next target state market.
Product consistency is critical for MSOs and operations excellence drives product consistency. SIP’s strategic sourcing experts ensure the most advanced supply chain practices align with consistent brand excellence. Customer delight can reach new heights with SIP’s revenue building go-to-market programs.
For capitalized start-ups and early stage innovators within the plant-touching segment, we apply the right capabilities and scaling capacity to maximize revenue potential at every step in the maturity cycle.
Dave Miner, B.Sc.
Senior Strategist - Cannabis Practice
- A seasoned professional who has been working in the Cannabis industry in California since 2016, concentrating on regulatory compliance and operations
- Guided plant-touching clients in cultivation, manufacturing, distribution and retail obtain over twenty municipal and California state licenses in just the last few years
- At SIP, applies extensive manufacturing, agriculture, distribution and retail experience to working with Multi-State Cannabis Operators (MSOs)
- Project leadership in highly regulated industries including vitamin, nutraceutical, as well as food and beverage manufacturing-distribution for clients such as Pharmavite (Nature's Made Vitamins), Select Ingredients & Manufacturing Corp. (for Trader Joe's), and Quest Nutrition (Quest Protein Bars)
- Leads complex projects resulting in significant cost savings and material revenue gains. Functional areas of expertise are: Project/Program Management, Business Analysis & Assessment, Process Improvement, Inventory Control, Network Optimization, Cost Reduction/Avoidance, Strategic Procurement, Technology Integration, S&OP, Analytics, and Lean & Six Sigma Methodologies
- Clients include Cisco Systems, Best Buy, Staples, Ross Stores, Verizon, JP Morgan Chase, U.S. Postal Service, Qualcomm, Solar Turbines (Caterpillar), Joint Aid Management (JAM) Unilever, Suncor Energy, Johnson & Johnson, Disney, United Suppliers, Ferro, FTD, Office Depot - Office Max
- Former executive in the Global Supply Chain Practice at Accenture
- Former Sr. Projects Manager for Pitney Bowes Management Services
Helped drive process re-engineering efforts to align all North American Cisco campuses with the San Jose headquarters regarding mail and package distribution
- Launched his career as Distribution and Operations Manager for an import/distribution start-up in Boston, where he helped grow it from 1,000 to over 600,000 units sold
- Board Member, San Diego/Baja Roundtable, Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals
- Certified as a Lean Yellow Belt, having trained the trainers and helped to design the curriculum for the Lean Six Sigma Institute of America’s Lean Yellow Belt Certification program
- Graduate Certificate, Supply Chain Management, D’Amore-McKim School of Business, Northeastern University
- B.Sc., Business Operations and Technology, Northeastern University
- Three years as an undergraduate student at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (final year curtailed due to untimely death of father at age 46)
Yan Hai, M.A.Sc
Compliance, Quality, Risk and Regulations
- Over 18 years of progressive experience in the pharmaceutical, cannabis, medical device, and natural health products industries including scientific and quality management contributions to some 300 projects to date
- Knowledge and extensive experience within a range of quality and compliance matters including cGxPs, FDA and Health Canada drug, cannabis and medical device regulatory standards, and ISO frameworks
- A track record of success improving quality systems, interpreting new regulatory requirements, fixing gaps between quality systems and regulatory standards, implementing CAPA systems, and advancing quality processes to ensure compliance and cost effectiveness
- Held a variety of roles with global pharmaceutical leaders including Sanofi Pasteur, Novartis, Taro Pharmaceuticals and Thermo Fisher Scientific
- President and Principal Consultant – Innova Medipharm, Inc., specializing in regulatory compliance, quality assurance, and cGxPs services for the cannabis and pharmaceutical industries
- Client engagements include inspection readiness, auditing, SOP development, GMP and ISO qualification, quality management system alignment, deviation investigation, gap assessment and change control programs
- M.A.Sc, Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry & Biomaterials/Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada
- B.Eng., Chemical Engineering, Tongji University, China
Mike Regan, M.B.A.
Chief Analyst; Market Value-Valuation Strategist
Read Bio Here
Alec Alessandra, M.B.A., CPM
Supply Chain ESG; Supply Chain Leadership and Operations Transformation
Read Bio Here
Dr. Darrell DeMello, M.B.B.S.; M.B.A.
Cannabis Senior Strategist – Biotech-Pharma-Medical Sectors
- Twenty-five years in senior leadership roles and entrepreneurial management involving international sales and enterprise advancement, product and market development, go-to-market strategy, and clinical training curriculum and facilitation for marquee brands in medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and minimally-invasive clinical healthcare environments
- Built a global relationship network of key opinion leaders for evaluating healthcare Voice of the Customer requirements
- Responsible for the introduction of new products and techniques in angioplasty, coronary and peripheral stenting, neuro-vascular interventions, gastro-enterology, endoscopy and endo-urology procedures, and ophthalmology
- Successfully structured, negotiated, and executed licensing and acquisition agreements to expand market penetration
- Founder of Market Access India, a facilitator of access to India and other Asian markets for U.S.-based companies
- President, ScyFIX, a medical device start-up in ophthalmology where he developed a clinical and regulatory plan for FDA approval in the U.S. and international markets
- At Boston Scientific Scimed (Minnesota), served as Senior Product Manager – Cardiology, Emerging Technologies, and New Business Development
- At Boston Scientific Asia Pacific (Singapore), as Asia Pacific Marketing Manager, developed a physician training program and trained sales teams to transition from a distributor to direct sales model in Asia
Organized and conducted the first cases using the intra-operative Cobra system to treat Atrial Fibrillation in Australia
- At Boston Scientific (India), served as Area Director reorganizing region into one cohesive business in 12 months with six acquisitions; recruited a multi-functional team of 60 employees
- At C.R. Bard International, served as Sales Manager and Clinical Coordinator, organizing clinical training and marketing programs; sold the first Cardiac Mapping system and first 2 Bard EP Lab systems in India
- For Cynamid, Lederle Division (India), served as Group Product Manager in the pharmaceutical division; ensured a 40% reduction in production costs and achieved a 100%+ increase in unit sales along with 200% increase in volume sales
- At Wyeth Laboratories (India), served as Professional Services Manager providing medical rationale for promotion campaigns and product training
- M.B.B.S., Physician, Bangalore University – St. John’s Medical College
- M.B.A., University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Business
“People want to work for and do business with leaders who are ethical, who mean what they say and are reliable. Cannabis is often perceived as the ‘Wild West,’ where anything goes. That's why it's even more important that leadership teams of major cannabis businesses are built on a foundation of integrity, reliability and compliance. Cannabis can only be normalized and prosperous when it's built on trust. Pragmatic leaders are interested in the process, in how a business will get it done. The cannabis industry would certainly benefit from more pragmatic leaders. Innovation is… about looking at a problem in a new way or finding unique approaches to resolving existing challenges.”
Chairman, National Cannabis Industry Association – Banking and Financial Services Committee
“The Cannabis Industry Needs Better Leaders”; Forbes - August 20, 2020.